Need quick and easy name activities for kids is a great way for learning to write their names! Ourfree name tracing worksheets for preschool, pre-k, and kinderagrten age children are perfect for giving kids lots of name tracing practice. Just type your student’s names in the table and watch the worksheets fill in like magic. You can create name tracing worksheets for 5 students at once. Simply print thefree editable name tracing sheets template and you are ready to practice!
Free Name Tracing Worksheets
Teaching our students to write their own name is one of the basic skills they need to learn. There are a lot of fun name activities for kids, but name tracing practice with a name tracing worksheet is one of the easiest ways to get started. Usingfree printable name tracing can help children learn how to write their name, but they also provide handwriting practice and name recognition. Children are usually interested in their names, so they are happy to practice writing it. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love thesename tracing worksheets for preschoolers and kindergartners.
Before we dive in, let’s briefly look at what is involved in learning to write.
Name Tracing Worksheets
Name Tracing Practice
As you probably already know learning to write involves many skills. Writing is a developmental and whole-body process. It involves fine motor and visual motor skills. Sensory processing and paying attention to detail also plays a role. Before students can start to form letters, they need to develop fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. To put this another way, that brain must learn how to work with the muscles that control hand movements.
Once this is in place, students must also learn how make and maintain the correct pencil grasp. That is hold the pencil between thumb, index, and middle finger. This ability usually develops between the ages of 3-6 years.Of course, you will have a class of students all at different levels. Some children get plenty of opportunities to develop the fine motors skills needed to write and others do not. You will need to evaluate where children are developmentally and go from there.
Free Printable Name Tracing
You may have students that need extra fine motor practice before they can start to write. Activities that encourage the development of fine motor skills and hand eye co-ordination include:
- Picking up small objects with tweezers
- Cutting and pasting
- Building with construction toys. Click here to see a list of Lego challenges.
- Using playdough (click here to find a list of activities that use playdoh)
- Crafts that involve manipulating small objects like this pasta animal craft
Once your students are developmentally ready to write and get name tracing practice. They can start to learn how to form letters and put them together to make words. Free name tracing worksheets for preschool can be a good place to start. This set offree editable name tracing worksheet printable are perfect for use with any student no matter wht their name is. They will help children learn their names and practice forming those letters. As I mentioned before, children are interested in their names, so they will be motivated to use the sheets.
Free Editable Name Tracing Sheets
To make it easy for you, we have created an editable name tracing freebie that will allow you to create worksheets for your class in no time at all.There are thousands of popular first names. Some names even have different spellings such as Erin, Eryn, or Erinn. Making a separate worksheet from scratch would take ages.
That is why our editable worksheet works so well. You can quickly create 5 customized sheets in seconds. All you need to do is type your student’s names into the chart and the worksheet will automatically populate the create printables name tracing. Print, clear the table, and start over with the next batch of names. You will be done very quickly.The sheets have been set to fill in automatically and adjust the font size depending on the length of the name. This means you can use first names or first and family names. It will also accommodate those longer first names.
Name Tracing Sheets
The worksheets invite children to color in a larger version of their name and then trace over the name twice. Even the most enthusiastic children will get bored tracing the same thing over and over. This worksheet provide practice without getting tedious. We kept the design minimal to prevent distraction. Children could also
- Use their finger to trace the large outline of their name.
- Roll playdoh into snakes and use it to fill in the outline
- Dab over the outline with Bingo daubers
We included a fun flying superhero on each sheet. Children love superheroes and can color them in. It might be fun to create a “We are Writing Superheroes” display with all the names.
Name Tracing Template
- Grab the pdf file at the bottom of the post by clicking the “Print” button
- The worksheet uses two specific fonts. If you don’t have them, you need to grab and install them BEFORE opening the pdf file. Both are available for free.
- Click here to get KG Red Hands outline (Note you will get 2 fonts. You need to install the one marked outline.)
- Click here for KG primary dotted (Note you will get 4 dotted fonts. You need to install the one with no lines.)
- You will also need an adobe reader to open the file. This is also available for free. Click here to print.
- Open the file in Adobe Reader.
- You will see a table with 5 highlighted fields that say “Type Name Here” on the second page. Click on the top one, type in the child’s name and hit enter on your keyboard.
- The first worksheet will automatically fill in that name. It is like magic!
- Fill in the rest of the table and print pages 3 -7.
- Clear the table and repeat steps 7-9 with the next 5 student names.
- Printable Name Flower Craft
- Slime Preschool Name Ideas
- Ice Cream Name Craft for Summer
- 28 Cute Name Crafts for Preschoolers
- Playdough Imprint Name Recognition Activities
- Bug Name Recognition Activities
- Camping Name Craft
- Cute I Spy Name Ornament for Kids
- Shark Preschool Name Activity
- French Fry name crafts for preschoolers
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Name Recognition Activity
- Learn your name with straws Name Recognition Craft
- Name Recognition Pot of Gold Craft
- 30 Name Recognition Activities
- Space Name Craft for Preschoolers
- Ice Cream Preschool Name Activity
- Free Printable, EDITABLE Name Tracing Worksheets
Name Tracing Worksheets pdf
By using materials from my site you agree to the following:
- This is forpersonaland personal classroomuse (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to grab their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
About the author
Sharon is the proud mom of three grown boys, a trained educator, and former children librarian. She draws on her years of experience as a parent and teacher to help parents to make the most of the time they have with their kids. You find her posts on rediscoveredfamiles.com
View all posts
Teacher PowerPoint Tutorial: How to make your own tracing worksheets ...How do you create a tracing name? ›
All you have to do is insert your child's name and how many times you'd like the name repeated. When you're working with young children start with less repetitions. Too many can be overwhelming, plus the larger words are easier to trace for little ones.How do I create a letter trace sheet in Word? ›
How to Make Quick & Easy Handwriting Tracing Worksheets ...How do you make a trace sheet in Google Docs? ›
How to Make Dotted Letters in Google Docs - YouTubeHow do you make a traceable letter in PowerPoint? ›
How To Make Tracing Letters In Microsoft PowerPoint 2021 - YouTubeHow can adults improve print handwriting worksheets? ›
How to improve your handwriting (4 easy tips! + free worksheet)How do you make preschool tracing sheets? ›
How to Make Preschool Name-Tracing Templates - YouTubeHow do I make dotted words in Word? ›
How to make Dotted Typing Design in Microsoft word - YouTubeIs there a tracing font in Word? ›
Tracing Letters For Toddlers In Microsoft Word - YouTubeHow do you create a tracing worksheet in Canva? ›
How to create handwriting books on Canva - YouTube
How to Make Preschool Name-Tracing Templates - YouTubeHow do you make a handwriting book? ›
How to Make Handwriting Practice Workbook for Amazon ... - YouTubeHow do you make reusable paper? ›
Homeschool DIY | Reusable Write and Wipe Activity Sheets - YouTube